Creating a PivotTable
If you have a data list or table, and the data can be grouped by one or more fields in that list, you can dissect your data with an Excel PivotTable. The PivotTable is a powerful tool that can help you view your data in many ways.
To create a PivotTable (Figure 1):
- Select any cell in your list.
- Select the Insert Tab.
- Select the PivotTable Tool Button on the left side of the Insert Tab to open the Create PivotTable Dialog Box.
The Create PivotTable Dialog Box (Figure 2):
- Verify the Table/Range that contains your data is correct.
- Choose where you would like to place your PivotTable. Putting it in a New Worksheet makes it easier to work with.
- Select OK to create your PivotTable.
Manipulating your PivotTable:
- Select the fields you want to use from the PivotTable Field List. (Figure 3)
- The data is grouped and totaled in this example. (Figure 4)
Thanks for visiting this blog page, I hope this helps you create a basic PivotTable. There is a lot more that Excel can do with your data in a PivotTable. Stayed tuned for more posts on this subject and other important Microsoft Office tips!